Community Corner: Less is more

Posted by auroracitizen on August 30, 2008

Please don’t get me wrong, I have lived in Aurora since 1990 and I love this ‘just right’ town. My comment is about The Auroran itself.

I used to read all the letters to the editor when it was first published. Slowly, since then, I began to realize each letter getting longer and longer and extensively drawn out. Lately, I see a letter or 2 taking up almost 80% of a page re:a subject that can be well dealt with in just about 200 words. Needless to say, I lose interest in reading them and just stick to the few briefly written ones.

I have seen bigger newspapers requiring that letters to the editor are written in less than so many words.

5 Responses to “Community Corner: Less is more”

1. Heather Sisman said

I suppose that’s the circle of life for a newspaper, isn’t it? The Auroran is a great paper, as anonymous said above, it has everything, and it’s all about Aurora. I think it’s great!

From the mail box to the bird cage. A perfect fit! Then the greenbin. Flow works well. Sad for the advertisers paying for the bird’s benefit.

Are you serious? I love the Auroran! It’s a fantastic mix of current events, local history, restaurant listings, AND, best of all, it’s FREE! It’s Aurora-centric (not like the Era-Banner which is regionwide). If you don’t like it, sure, line your birdcage with it, but don’t berate the publisher for doing something he loves. Lots of Aurorans really appreciate it!

Absolutely! I now put it directly in the trash. It sure doesn’t make any effort to deal in facts. It’s a blog pretending to be a newspaper.

ronnie likes cheap/free content for his newspaper. hence the endless rehashes of news from the 60’s and 70’s, remember whens, photos of old school teams, etc, etc.

don’t forget the endless stream of Ms. Buck’s nonsense too.